See people:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3089509/l...t-pcs.html

The end is near... Confused

Regards,
Trova tutti i messaggi di questo utente
Cita questo messaggio nella tua risposta
02-07-2016, 08:23
Messaggio: #2

RE: Let's be brave and keep our endeavor...
What is the problem? About Ubuntu I knew it already, but his support will continue until April 2021. Even Centos 6 until 2020 in November. And also my 32bit pc die sooner or later.
Last month I saw a Debian 5 Server, and NASA uses an IBM PowerPC 750FX, which first hit the market in 2002, for Orion spacecraft. Your smartphone is more powerfull but....the Orion flight computer will still be ticking away when your phone is taking up space in a landfill.
02-07-2016, 08:51
Messaggio: #3

In the same page
Citazione:32-bit Linux distributions will still exist

Thankfully, 32-bit Linux distributions will continue to exist for a long time. The recently released Ubuntu 16.04 LTS will be supported for five years until 2021. Even after many of the big Linux distributions stop releasing new versions for 32-bit hardware, there will be Linux distributions out there specializing in support for this older hardware. But, by then, more 32-bit hardware will be out of commission.

I'm sure that the choice of 64bit was a mistake.
The advantage is not so big as the increase of weight.
02-07-2016, 10:49 (Questo messaggio è stato modificato l'ultima volta il: 02-07-2016 11:01 da tele.)
Messaggio: #4

Ubuntu is not good for old hardware, had poor support for old drivers.
OpenSuse was ok.
Exists yet Puppy Linux for old hardware.

Puppy Linux have different versions:
Puppy Lucid, Tahrpup --> based on Ubuntu
Slacko --> based on Slackware
Quirky --> I don't know
http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20La...elease.htm
02-07-2016, 12:36
Messaggio: #5

As Zafran writes: "I'm sure the choice of 64bit that was a mistake.The advantage is not so big as the increase of weight."
I agree with him. My PC can support 64bit but it's a low processor powered, it has no more than 2 Gb of ram (motherboard limits). How many pcs are in the same condition?
This for Tele:
Puppy it isn't easy to upgrade by the users, PCLOS yes.
Ubuntu has a poor support for old drivers, but Lubuntu yes or if it's the case even better Wattos, it has kernel 3.13. But it isn't rolling release, PCLOS yes.
OpenSuse? Yes, it's ok and there is a rolling release, but it uses systemd. PCLOS no.
UPLOS for me is the best choice
02-07-2016, 22:46
Messaggio: #6

I say the same as Zafran, we have 64 bits capable machines, but, with 1GB of ram or 2GB ram. It's not worth even think about adding more ram, since those models are DDR2 or older. So, 32 bits is the best choice.
03-07-2016, 00:07
Messaggio: #7

adrianomorselli
what do you think about the Manjaro linux ?
03-07-2016, 08:06
Messaggio: #8

I love Manjaro @tele, it taught me a lot of things, it's rolling, simple for users and xfce DE lightweight and responsive. Only one thing is systemd, but no one is perfect. Rolleyes
03-07-2016, 11:21 (Questo messaggio è stato modificato l'ultima volta il: 03-07-2016 11:21 da tele.)
Messaggio: #9

This is from Arch, you can choose, systemd or OpenRC. https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...to_systemd
03-07-2016, 12:12 (Questo messaggio è stato modificato l'ultima volta il: 03-07-2016 12:19 da monsee.)
Messaggio: #10

I'm testing some GNU/Linux "distros" and some BSD System, in this moment. Blush
About BSD, my opinion is: OpenBSD and NetBSD works very good on 32-bit PC too. Maybe, OpenBSD (I know it a little better than NetBSD) is a more light and so a little better (but I'm not totally sure about).
About GNU/Linux "distros", I have tested some PuppyLinux (good, but many are in English-US language without Italian localization). More, I have tested CentOS 6.x (that's a "cr" [continuous-release]) and it's a good choice too (now, there is the CentOS 6.8 32-bit version, that is better to install using the "net-install" process and NOT other ISOs). CentOS have localizations, for Italian language too.
I'm testing also CentOS 7 AltArch SID 32-bit (it's SystemD oriented -a little fastidious!- and now is at 7.2 version and is a "continuous-release" too), and I think that "distro" can be a good choice too.
More in GNU/Linux distros is the Slackware-distro and Slackware's derived distros (many other good choices too, in my opinion).
Also Gentoo can be a very good choice (there is a i486 version too, useful for very old PC), if you are an expert User or if there is somewhere a Forum that can really help new-users and newbies...
About very-very old PCs (I have one: old notenook Compaq Presario 123, max RAM 96 MB), a good way can be to use FreeDOS (there are in development some little graphical WMs for it too).
About old PCs (but not too older), I suggest TinyCore Linux (mostly, 32-bit), that seem to me a very good chance.
About more "standard PC" (32-bit), I can suggest ALT Linux (a russian "distro" mandrake-derived very similar to PCLinuxOS: the only problem is the lack of "localization" [English language is supported, for example, but Italian language isn't]).
I agree that the 64-bit "obsession" is a "cultural error" (and an "industrial error" too), of course. But I don't think we are at the end of the "32-bit Era": we can struggle, for example, to make 32-bit PCs very useful for the future. Angel
Rispondi 

Vai al forum:

Utente(i) che stanno guardando questa discussione: 1 Ospite(i)

Scrivici   Home   Top   Visualizza contenuti   Feed